- * During a snowstorm, do not place perishable food out in the snow. Outside temperatures can vary and food can be exposed to unsanitary conditions and animals. Instead, make ice. Fill buckets, empty milk containers, or cans with water and leave them outside to freeze. Use the homemade ice in your refrigerator, freezer, or coolers.
- * If you lose power, and your power is out for 4 or more hours, scroll down to see this list of unsafe foods.
- * Do not use any food that you are unsure of or are uncertain how long it has been in the "danger zone" -- 2 hours or more between 40-140 degrees F.
- * Do not taste a food to see if it is safe.
- * If in doubt, throw it out!
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Food Safety Tips During a Power Outage
We're in the middle of a blizzard, and your pantry or meal site program has lost power. Here are some safety tips from the USDA:
Labels: Food Safety